Education Excellence & Talent Development
The Chamber recognizes that an investment in quality early education programs will increase achievement, reduce drop-out rates and create pathways for success throughout K-12 education. This type of investment will enhance educational outcomes and result in a knowledgeable workforce that will lead our nation’s economy. To achieve a 21st century workforce, education must be at the highest standards from the very beginning. Through advocacy and special support to public schools, the Chamber is raising the bar for Los Angeles early education and Pre-K schooling.
- Bring early education issues to the attention of business leaders and encourage increased participation
- Support and expand access to high quality early education programs
- Work with local, state and federal officials to develop public policy that will increase the amount of investments in high quality early education
- Explore and support, if appropriate, the Race to the Top – Early Learning Challenge Grant, allowing CA to compete for a $100 million grant to increase the number and percentage of low-income and disadvantaged children enrolled in high-quality early learning programs
- Supporthird Grade Level Reading campaign, which seeks to ensure third grade level proficiency and explore elements that impact its progress, such as Summer Learning Loss and chronic absenteeism
- Encourage alignment of Pre-K (preschool) -16 , Design professional development systems that use both the research-based Preschool Learning Foundations and the K-12 content standards.
|SB 1381 Signed Into Law
||Moves up the starting date for kindergarten and annually provides about 120,000 of our state’s children with invaluable extra time in high-quality early education programs.
Race to the Top
|Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius revealed $500 million for Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge grants.
PRESENTATIONS & DOCUMENTS
The Heckman Equation: Research on the return on investing in the early years and the payoffs for the workforce and economy
RAND California Preschool Study
R.E.A.L. Coalition Letter re: California's ESSA State Implementation Plan
First 5 California
Los Angeles County Office of Childcare Los Angeles Preschool Advocacy Initiative
Los Angeles Universal Preschool
Preschool California Business Case
Partnership for America's Economic Success
Pre-K Now Report