Global Initiatives Council
The Global Initiatives Council works to develop programs and events to promote global trade and investment to create regional employment.
- Earnestly continue the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) Agreement negotiations with the European Union with the objective to successfully conclude a mutually acceptable agreement as soon as possible.
- Support and play a leading role in the negotiations for the World Trade Organization (WTO) International Service Agreement that will expand market access for our service sectors.
- Support and conclude negotiations for the WTO Information Technology Agreement to increase the scope of duty-free IT products.
- Successfully reach agreement on bilateral investment treaties with China and India.
- Support the full implementation of current free trade agreements and ensure the effective monitoring and enforcement of our trading partners’ obligations.
An Update on California's International Trade Agenda
Friday, Aug. 25
9 - 10:30 a.m.
RECAP OF LAST MEETING:
Regional Impact of the Renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Wednesday, June 21
The Chamber's Global Initiatives Council convened in late June to hear from Joel Backaler, managing director of global marketing at Frontier Strategy Group. Backaler provided an overview of the potential outcomes of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) renegotiation initiated by the United States. The presentation and the Q&A session generated diverse comments regarding the future of NAFTA. These different opinions were acknowledging that the NAFTA partners are going into a trilateral negotiation, but that some matters and cases bilateral arrangements or accords could also be an important part of the overall renegotiation. The overall consensus was that the USA, Canada and Mexico are most interested in a final agreement that will benefit the North American continent. SEE THE PHOTOS.
TENTATIVE 2017 DATES
This council meets most third Wednesdays of the month, 9 - 10:30 a.m. Meetings will take place at the L.A. Area Chamber.
2017 MEETING INFORMATION
|Feb. 15: New Year, New President, New Trade Agenda?
|March 15: California, the Pacific Rim and Trade in the New Administration
|June 21: Regional Impact of the Renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Agenda & Presentation
>> SEE THE ARCHIVE
Free & Fair Trade
The L.A. Area Chamber has actively supported and advocated for the passage of previous Free Trade Agreements, with the belief that trade is not the problem but part of the solution. The Chamber is committed to collaborating with partnering organizations to effectively work together to support the enforcement of trade agreements, protection of intellectual property and promotion of direct foreign investment and constructive dialogue.
>> READ MORE
TRADE INTELLIGENCE BRIEF
Once a month, the L.A. Area Chamber produces a brief that includes trade news from around the world. The brief is a Global Initiatives Council exclusive email that is later available online.
>> READ MORE
Access to key information and resources is one of the tools that the Council strives to provide its members. Under the leadership of Dr. Anatoly Zhuplev, professor at Loyola Marymount University and Council Co-chair, a team of LMU students are compiling research for pertinent topics.
>> SEE RESEARCH PROJECTS
For more information, contact Jasmin Sakai-Gonzalez, 213.580.7569.