Global Initiatives Council
The Global Initiatives Council works to develop programs and events to promote global trade and investment to create regional employment.
- Earnestly continue the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) Agreement negotiations with the European Union with the objective to successfully conclude a mutually acceptable agreement as soon as possible.
- Support and play a leading role in the negotiations for the World Trade Organization (WTO) International Service Agreement that will expand market access for our service sectors.
- Support and conclude negotiations for the WTO Information Technology Agreement to increase the scope of duty-free IT products.
- Successfully reach agreement on bilateral investment treaties with China and India.
- Support the full implementation of current free trade agreements and ensure the effective monitoring and enforcement of our trading partners’ obligations.
Los Angeles: A Global City
Wednesday, Oct. 18
9 - 10:30 a.m.
RECAP OF LAST MEETING:
An Update on California's International Trade Agenda
Friday, August 25
The Chamber's Global Initiatives Council convened in late August to hear from Awinash Bawle, newly appointed deputy director for International Affairs and Business Development for the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz). Bawle presented an update on the State's international strategies. "For the last three years, California has had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation. The secret to our success is that we literally and figuratively have kept our borders open to trade. The Chamber has been instrumental in the development of many of our international programs and initiatives," said Bawle. Bawle also met privately with members of the Chamber's Diplomatic & Commercial Officers group to discuss key global partnership projects.
TENTATIVE 2017 DATES
This council meets most third Wednesdays of the month, 9 - 10:30 a.m. Meetings will take place at the L.A. Area Chamber.
2017 MEETING INFORMATION
|Feb. 15: New Year, New President, New Trade Agenda?
|March 15: California, the Pacific Rim and Trade in the New Administration
|June 21: Regional Impact of the Renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Agenda & Presentation
|August 25: An Update on California's International Trade Agenda
>> SEE THE ARCHIVE
Free & Fair Trade
The L.A. Area Chamber has actively supported and advocated for the passage of previous Free Trade Agreements, with the belief that trade is not the problem but part of the solution. The Chamber is committed to collaborating with partnering organizations to effectively work together to support the enforcement of trade agreements, protection of intellectual property and promotion of direct foreign investment and constructive dialogue.
>> READ MORE
TRADE INTELLIGENCE BRIEF
Once a month, the L.A. Area Chamber produces a brief that includes trade news from around the world. The brief is a Global Initiatives Council exclusive email that is later available online.
>> READ MORE
Access to key information and resources is one of the tools that the Council strives to provide its members. Under the leadership of Dr. Anatoly Zhuplev, professor at Loyola Marymount University and Council Co-chair, a team of LMU students are compiling research for pertinent topics.
>> SEE RESEARCH PROJECTS
For more information, contact Jasmin Sakai-Gonzalez, 213.580.7569.